Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Blog reading

I am subscribed to a whole bunch of feeds. Most of them are very low traffic. A few have a medium amount of traffic, generating no more than seven or eight entries a day that can easily be read in about five minutes. Three of the feeds I am subscribed to is an aggregation of blogs from bloggers relevant to the topic. For example, Planet Ubuntu is an aggregation of Ubuntu developer blogs.
At my last job which was about 75% down time, I had no problem reading all the blogs that came through. When I started my new job I unsubscribed from a lot of blogs, especially some of the aggregates.
To the left is how my current unread count looks. This is significantly down from what it used to be a few weeks ago. To the right is a list of all the feeds I am subscribed to. I am contemplating dropping the Planet Mozilla feed. I consider reading many of these blogs to be an important part of my professional development. Getting the insights and news about current technology trends from people across the globe has been incredibly helpful in my career.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate. I constantly struggle between trying to keep up and read as much as I can, and managing my time in a way that leaves time for other things. It's tough.

    ReplyDelete