Using the following instructions you should be able to compile Mame on Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, though it should also work in most any other version of Ubuntu too.
- Download the latest source from http://mamedev.org/release.html Grab the .zip version. The following command will grab the latest source as of the time I wrote this tutorial.
wget http://mamedev.org/downloader.php?file=releases/mame0140s.zip --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/18.104.22.168" -O mame_source.zipHere we change the user/agent string, because the server is set to prevent robots, like wget, from programmatically downloading the file.
- Unzip the file, and then unzip that file. Place it anywhere you like, perhaps your home directory.
unzip mame.zip -d mame
- Next we install all the libraries and dependencies necessary to build mame.
sudo aptitude install build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libgnome2-dev libsdl1.2-dev
- Finally, lets get to building it.
- Let's setup a rom folder and get some roms.
wget http://mamedev.org/roms/sidetrac/sidetrac.zip --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/126.96.36.199"
- Now that we have legally obtained an arcade ROM, let's play it!