Saturday, January 2, 2010

Saint George Island

Kim' parents came to town last weekend with a reserved vacation house at Saint George Island.  Saturday, December 26th, we stayed our first night.
I was scheduled to make dinner that night, but a lot of hiccups blew my plans of making veggie stir-fry.  I had to settle for broccoli and rice, which wasn't all that great.
Sunday I went back home because I had to work.  I was supposed to get an application released to Beta before the new years, but we didn't quite get that done.  I was still able to get Thursday off, and Thursday a little after noon I drove back over to the island.
When I got there everyone was crowded in the TV room playing Wii Fit.  Athena and Arianna gave me great big hugs.  Apparently, while I was gone Arianna was a stinker, and Kim was looking forward to passing off Arianna's behavior problems to me.  However, she was very good the whole rest of the time I was there.

About an hour after I arrived Scott's parents showed up too.  Kim and I had a long walk down the beach with Mike, Scott's dad.  We had a lot to talk about and it was very pleasant.  His parents are extremely nice, and even though it was the first time for all of us meeting them, they fit right in.
Apparently Scott's dad was excited that there were men there as he was looking forward to watching the game, however none of the men there where into football.  I was playing Wii with the girls when he walked into the TV room and said, "Who's into football."  We just kind of looked blankly at him and he realized that football wasn't going to happen and walked off kind dissapointed.. Kim mentioned to Athena that we would need to turn the Wii off soon so that he could watch football.  I told Kim that nobody ever turned off football so I could play Wii, so I wasn't going to turn off the Wii so others could watch football.

When I laid Arianna down to bed that Thursday night, a task that had apparently been hellish throughout the week, I got her to lay right down without any problems and she went to sleep.  I took the opportunity to revel in my own glory for the rest of the night.
On New Years night I went up to Harry A's Bar with Scott, Katie, Annmarie and Tyson.  I was the designated driver since I don't really drink anyhow.
When we go there Rob and Dawn, Sue's son and his wife, had been there quite a while and had reserved us a little corner at the bar.  On the TV was some car and motorcycle trick-show.  Right before countdown they struggled to find the New York ball-drop, but found it too late so there was no real countdown.
Later we headed home with plans to hang out by the pool, which where cast aside as people's desire to sleep overtook a night of hanging out.  When it was finally just Scott and I we decided to just turn in as well.
Friday, Steve showed me where I could get some good oysters for cheap.  I got about thirty oysters for seven bucks.  Back at the house I ate those up raw.  We had some really good hot sauce Kim picked up for me in Saint Augustine a few months ago.  Some people were not into eating raw Oysters so Scott and I grilled the rest.
That night Annmarie and Tyson made burritos with a little bit of everything else that had not been cooked yet. It was a good dinner for our final night, and I finished it off with the last of the uneaten oysters.
I think it was Friday night, but during that weekend Katie and Scott agreed to get married, which meant Chris was on cloud nine for the rest of the time.
This morning we all woke up and through all our stuff in the car.  Kim followed me over the bridge and we ate at a little diner off of highway 98.  The food was good and the people where real nice.

Kim drove home and I picked up a half-bushel of oysters.  I tried two places to find a non-Styrofoam cooler, but nobody had what I wanted.  I ended up taking the bags off of the roof of the VW and putting the oysters up there.
Right before the Wakulla River I picked up two hitch-hikers.  They where on their way to the flea market.  I dropped them off at a friends house that is about two-miles from my neighborhood.
Back at home Kim and I unloaded everything and then took a nap.  When we got back up we put away more of our stuff.  I finally fixed a leaky water-faucet outside.  Then we headed up to Sue's for dinner with Chris and Steve.  We had pizza and Sue and I dined on some of the oysters.
Athena's ear had been bothering her that night.  During the toast to Katie and Scott, Athena was crying because her ear was hurting so bad.  I loaded her up while Kim said he goodbyes and we headed home.
Steve leaves for California very early in the morning, but Chris will be here until Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment