Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Wedding Weekend

Last weekend Kim's cousin, Brent got married to his fiance, Brooke. The wedding was in Ft. Meyers.
Kim picked me up from work on Friday a little after 4:30pm and we left straight from there.
As a rule Kim always drives the first half of the trip. The reason for this is that by the second half she is exhausted and will go crazy, literally. So she drives first and then I drive second.
This time the kids where being causing all sorts of trouble, and Arianna just could not be made happy. I was having a hard time dealing with it, so we pulled over and I drove the rest of the trip.
We had to make lots of stops on the way down and arrived about 12:30 at night. We where set to stay at Donna and Mark's house. When we got there we banged on the door, rang the doorbell, on all of the windows, and called their phones with no luck. They where dead asleep. After about thirty minutes of this we decided to find a hotel room. After passing on some seedy looking places, one with cops interrogating someone, we picked a hotel right off the interstate. We didn't really pay attention to the price that night, but the room was $100. This was pretty absurd as it was just an average hotel, nothing special.
Mark and Donna called the next day to find out where we where, and Kim gave them the full story. They where pretty upset with themselves about not waking up. We drove to their house, and their kids where excited about seeing ours. They played a lot.
Ernie came over without Donna. Not having Donna around makes a big difference. She is always very loud and does what she needs to to be the center of attention. The problem is that she doesn't understand normal etiquette and says all sorts of offensive things frequently. She is also always on Ernie's case, so he was more relaxed too.
The wedding was at some brand new high-class golf resort. The ceremony was outside, where it was burning hot form the Southern Florida sun. The breeze kept things somewhat manageable. They must have foreseen this as the ceremony was only about thirty minutes long, and then it was a break for the reception hall.
It started with appetizers of fruits, vegetables, and cheese and crackers. When we sat down, all of the girls where fussing a lot. Kim noted how she was looking forward to the wedding, but was now just looking forward to getting home. She was holding the baby up on the table as she ate crackers, so I slipped in to her stead and held up the baby and shooed her away. She was hesitant but finally I convinced her to go and have fun. She kept coming back to us, but I kept reassuring her that she was free to do whatever she wanted.
After appetizer time we where seated at our assigned tables. At our table was us and Kim's sisters, Ernie, April, and April's boyfriend. With Kim so close to the kids she had to care for them again as they would go between me and her, but by this time they where all on good behavior, but I made sure Kim new she could go mingle as she pleased.
Athena wanted to go out on the dance floor and dance with me, so we did. It basically consisted of my crouching down, watching her as she ran around in a circle. She had a really good time.
It took a while, but they finally served the salads. After an even longer time, they served the main dish, which was a sliced chicken breast stuffed with some sort of cream and spinach thing, I think. It also had some orange sauce on top of it. It was okay, but the food wasn't hot, and I think I could get better chicken at Lindy's.
After the meal they did the traditional stuff where the mother and fathers of the bride and groom do their talk and the last dance, and all that other stuff. Then it was dance time. You don't have to beg the Newman's to get out and dance. They just do it. The music was good to. It was primarily oldies like Twist & Shout, Mustang Sally, etc. Lots of good music to dance to. None of that slow crap. I staid up to the Cha-Cha slide.
Not longer after we sat down for the meal, Aurora said her stomach hurt, and she just kept feeling worse as the night wore on. Athena had was having a great time, but by the end of the Cha-Cha slide she was beat. The DJ did over six minutes of the Cha-Cha Slide. She started it laughing and ended it whining. Arianna was on her last wind as well. So I went home with our kids, Mark, and his kids Marcus and Harrison.
Back at the house Kim, Arianna, Athena and I where set to sleep in Harrison's room, and Harrison, Marcus, and Aurora where set to sleep in Marcus' room. When Aurora laid down she said she felt like she might throw up. Marcus got a a trash can and told Aurora to throw up in there if she couldn't make it to the bathroom, which was just outside the door.
After the kids went to bed I played the Wii. In the middle of the game Aurroa came out to the living room. In stead of throwing up in the trash or the bathroom, she went in Harrison's room and thew up all over some of our stuff and then puked in the hall on the way to the living room.
I set her in the bathroom and then in the bath tub and went back out and cleaned up the throw up. I then washed her in full and set her back in bed. She said she felt better, but I made sure the understood that there was a trash can right next to her bed she needed to use if she coulnd't make it to the bathroom, and that her first priority needed to be throwing up in one of these two places before she tried to find me.
After that she went back to sleep.
The next day I didn't feel well. I didn't throw up or anything, but my body felt week. I laid around the house practically all day. The kids played a lot and where very well behaved. In fact, the whole trip only Aurora went to time out, and that was once for burping at the dinner table. We the kids where really well behaved while we where away.
We left Fort Meyers around 5:30. Because of my sickness, Kim drove the whole way back. The kids slept the whole way too. We only had to stop once, and that was for bathroom and gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment