Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Why you should refer to version of Ubuntu by their code name online

A while ago a movement was started to convince people to refer to version of Ubuntu by their release name, not the code name. The logic is simple. The version name refers to the year and month that it was released, and paints a better picture of which version you are refering to.

I agree with that logic, though I don't care enough to stick to it. I usually just say it which ever way comes to my mind at the time, which differs from time to time.

I would like to further this by urging people to always refer to versions of Ubuntu by their code name when discussing them online. The reason for this is Google searching.

In my previous post regarding sound problems, I was able to find the solution by Googling ubuntu jaunty sound problems. Jaunty is a much better search term than 9.04. In fact, Google ignore special characters, like dots, and will find matches with articles that have the number 904 somewhere else in the page, like maybe a phone number, date, serial number, etc. When you search Ubuntu Jaunty, Ubuntu Intrepid or Ubunty Karmic, it is unlikely you are going to find one of the two words in the search to refer to something other than the version of Linux that we all love.

So in person use the release version, and online use the code name.