Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Alpha in VirtualBox with Guest Additions

Today I installed the latest alpha of Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Alpha inside of VirtualBox.  After getting all of the updates I installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions.  Upon boot my screen flashed lots of fun colors and then told me that my display configuration was fubared.
I booted up in low graphics mode and then searched for the answer, which I'm going to repeat here.
After installing the guest additions you need to modify a file.

gksudo gedit /usr/src/vboxvideo-3.1.4/vboxvideo_drm.c

Replace line 90 with the following:

                 .unlocked_ioctl = drm_ioctl,
                 .ioctl = drm_ioctl,

Finally, run the following command:
sudo /etc/init.d/vboxadd setup

So anyways, this got me as far as logging in without the graphics dying.  However, it looks like Compiz gets enabled and kills everything.  I'll update if I find a solution to this.


Edit: Bug 6198 is fixed as of VirtualBox 3.1.6. To get it for Ubuntu add the VirtualBox PPA found at and run sudo aptitude install virtualbox-3.1