Friday, June 6, 2008

Miro love

I have set up a program called Miro on my girl's computer and am loving it. The simplest explanation of what Miro does is that it is like podcasting for videos. In stead of downloading updated podcast (i.e. audio casts) it downloads updated video casts, or video feeds. There isn't much ground breaking about that, but the way Miro does it is really cool. It tries to make itself out more like an online video programmer than a simple video feed reader.
When you first start it up it has a search engine to find different feeds based on topic. So for my girls I browsed the education and kids section and found video feeds from all sorts of places. For example, They Might Be Giants releases a new videocast every Friday featuring to kids music videos. National Geographic has videocasts they release periodically.
We do not have cable at our house, and I prefer to keep it that way. So now my kids have only the TV that I have selected for them without any commercials chanting "consume, consume, consume" at them. The latter being why I don't like having cable TV.
Miro is available for Linux, OSX, and Windows at http://www.getmiro.com/ It is also open source software.

No comments:

Post a Comment